Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentines' AseemBhai :)

I’ve been thinking.
Yes AseemBhai, It IS amazing the results a little speculation can bring about.
To state the obvious, I was lying in bed, wondering why a simple change of date brings about such major changes in people’s behaviour. In other words, I was trying to figure out why Valentines’ Day always makes me feel unpleasant, except of course the couple where I actually DID have a Valentine.
Well, one thing led to another, and I ended up with my copy of AseemBhai’s book in my hand.
AseemBhai was all of 23. Yet, he achieved in his run here, more than most people achieve in many lifetimes, put together. He was, IS, truly great.
As far back as I can remember, I never had any role-models, or idols. My only idol, ever, was my dad. Till a time not very long ago, I firmly believed that my dad had the answers to EVERYTHING. Then, I grew up. And a few years, and not-so-few hoaxes later, I realised, with a hint of disappointment, that my father, also, is human. Fortunately, I was mature enough to realise that, in no way does that fact change who my father is. True, he might not be as well-informed as Google, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s one of the very, very few people who command my respect.
Anyway, coming back to the point. A couple of years ago, I was introduced to AseemBhai by my best friend. By introduced, I don’t mean literally. That, unfortunately, didn’t happen till much later. However, I knew enough about him to know that I had found another idol. For a long, long time, all I had was the idea of him to hang onto. And then, I finally got to know him. Perhaps not as well as I’d have liked to, but well enough to know that he truly deserved every bit of the admiration and respect I had for him.
It is here, that I recognise the inadequacy of words in describing how I feel. Surprisingly, today isn’t the first time that is happening.
In the last few weeks, I’ve often wondered if I even deserve this. By ‘this’, I do not mean what you think. And I choose not to explain. I, however, decided that I do. And hope I’m right.
I wish I’d had more time. I really do. My view of the world has recently been turned upside down, and I’ve begun to question the very facts I’ve taken for granted since I was a kid. It’s now at the point where I have completely stopped believing in the impossibility, of anything. There is, however, one thing that I’m sure of. There can, and will, never be another AseemBhai. And I don’t only mean for me. I mean ever.
Sure, he was human too. He had his faults, we all do. I’m even told that there are people who weren’t fond of him. I don’t find that hard to believe. In fact, I’m glad of it.
AseemBhai had an intensity about him. Intensity will always shake people up, and they will either like it, or they won’t.
If I had to describe AseemBhai, I couldn’t. One of the reasons being that I didn’t know him well enough (I don’t regret that, for regretting will serve no purpose other than to make me unhappy). The other reason, yet again, is the fact that words, more than often prove to be an inadequate expression of the feelings, and situations of utmost importance. I can, however, make an attempt at describing what AseemBhai was to me.
He was he elder brother I never had.
He was one of my closest friends. It is true, that I didn’t know him very well, or very long. Yet, I knew I could count on him, and his support, and his precious advice. My relationship with him is the reason I have finally started to understand how very little time has to do with the importance of the people in your life. No amount of efforts, or time, can ever make or break a relationship that is meant to be.
A few years ago, when AseemBhai (apparently) had no idea who I was, Andy and I tried to play a prank on him. I added him to my Yahoo messenger list and messaged him, on the pretext of being a random chick. I still chuckle at the thought of the 2 little idiots (Andy & I) grinning, and being audacious enough to think that they could outwit AseemBhai. WHAT were we thinking? Anyway, we did learn a valuable lesson – you don’t mess with a genius. Period.
There are very, very few texts that I allow the privilege of influencing me. AseemBhai’s blog, now, tops the list. It’s amazing how I always find exactly what I’m looking for in there.
I’d been wanting to do this for a while now, and I’m glad it finally happened.
I DO miss him. It is perhaps a little selfish, but now more than ever. Even though I’m pretty sure he was utterly bored of hearing me whine over and over again. :-p
AseemBhai always knew the right thing to say. Without fail.
It was always the same thing. Yet, it made perfect sense every time.
‘Relax. God is in charge.’
Now, I can relax, knowing I have contacts up there. 
Take care, AseemBhai. 

p.s. you should know, you're the only one i'm wishing this year. Part of this silly 'principles' thing I have going :-p

No comments: